1974 Kawasaki KZ400 D3 MoneyPenny

I started to take off all the unnecessary parts from the bike, untabed and cleaned the frame and then looped the subframe. First thing is to set the stance, so a pair of Avon MKII 4.00×18 was mounted on both wheels, the rear was raised 3cm with a pair of showa shocks, and the front lowered 2cm. The next thing was the repair of the gas tank, eliminating the dents, filling the badge mounts, and then the inside was cleaned and sealed. The fabrication continued with some custom brackets for the batestyle lights, turnsignals and speedo. Once the client doesn’t like to see the usual empty space bellow the seat on custom builds, and I think that not everything always needs to be hidden if we can turn it into something pleasant to be seen, a custom box for the battery and electrical stuff was made along with clean side panels matching the angles of the bike, as well as some openings to ensure some air flow and cooling, combined with aluminum mesh for visual points.

Some really short mudguards were fitted, the front one was made from two edges of a OEM item from Honda, so that we could keep that kick up and rolled edges detail.

Once the essentials were done we focused on the small parts and details, along with other things: a 3D WKND customs logo was printed and placed on the battery box and we decided to make some custom switches to keep the handlebars clean. The design is really simple based on tubes boldly assumed, to accommodate every switch or toggle, with a body that is almost undistinguishable from the black handlebars.

After taking the bike to pieces a lot of things were cleaned, rebuilt or replaced to make sure everything was working like new again.

To achieve an aggressive look, we wanted a dark bike with only a splash of color or at least some contrast on the tank, therefore the frame, wheels and a lot of other things were power coated mate black. The engine and exhausts were blacked out too, with some matching black aftermarket mufflers. I always loved the contrast between some shiny silver bits on a black background! So, the fins and logo of the engine were polished and a new set of stainless allen bolts replaced the old ones, and the black rims where laced with black spokes and chrome nipples and aluminum
knurled air caps. Other parts received the same treatment like the shocks that were disassembled, polished and the springs went to powder coating mate black too for matching. The classy twist happens on small details like the Alcantara section on the thin genuine leather seat, but essentially through the paint of the tank and panels, a nice pearl white and Alfa Romeo metallic silver, which looks like gold with some light on it. As a final touch, and to leave
no doubts, we can read now ‘Monneypenny’ in a hand-written style on the tank.

The electrics were redone. At the front everything runs through the handlebars, the rest was hidden as much as possible, and what is visible is covered with some braided style sleeves, matching with the fuel and air hoses.

Comments are closed.